There was once a plaque here, it must have been quite a large one and possibly made of metal of sufficient scrap value to warrant removal.
By 1860 the burial ground was getting full. The community, and
According to a letter in the possession of the Board of Deputies of British Jews in London, written by Mr J Bunford Samuel (brother of Matilda Samuel, grave 17) on 21 September 1908, Mr Samuel noticed on the cemetery wall a stone tablet with the name of his father’s relative, Samuel Samuel, and of Baron Rothschild, who no doubt had an interest in the cemetery.
Though it is thought that the Rothschilds contributed to the purchase of the cemetery extension, the Jewish Chronicle of 1862 reported the purchase but there is no mention of Samuel or Rothschild.